Halifax Arts & Culture
The past and present are on display in Halifax, the heart of East Coast Arts & Culture. Stroll through our wide range of Halifax art galleries, museums and historical sites. Enjoy one of the many festivals and events that will be gracing the Halifax arts & culture scene this year. Halifax’s unique maritime culture is just waiting to delight you.
Need help planning what to do in Halifax, Nova Scotia? Try our Itinerary Builder and for your own personal concierge to everything Halifax, download the Visit Halifax Mobile App for maps, weather updates, Halifax festival and event information and the ability to save your favourite points of interest with a tap of the finger. Check out Halifax Sociable!, Halifax’s online community to find out what people are saying about Halifax.
• Halifax Citadel National Historic Site and the Old Town Clock – located in the heart of downtown Halifax.
• Neptune Theatre - the region’s largest theatre company.
• Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 - where more than a million immigrants arrived in Canada between 1928 and 1971.
• Dartmouth Heritage Museum - promotes awareness of heritage in Dartmouth; located in historic Evergreen House.
• Maritime Museum of the Atlantic - showcasing Nova Scotia’s rich maritime heritage.
• Memory Lane Heritage Village - a living history museum depicting rural Nova Scotia life in the 1940s.
• Museum of Natural History - explore the natural wonders of Nova Scotia's land and sea at the Museum of Natural History.
• The Africville Museum - tells the story of Africville from the perspective of the former residents, the consultants, and the Mayors involved in the decision to demolish Africville.
• The Cole Harbour Rural Heritage Farm Museum - The Cole Harbour Rural Heritage Farm Museum is a community museum dedicated to preserving and interpreting Cole Harbour's agricultural past and to developing understanding of plants, animals and farming today.
Arts & Culture Festivals and Performances
• Atlantic Film Festival
• Atlantic Fringe Festival
• Candian Surf Film Festival
• Fall For Flamenco Festival
• Franco Festival
• Halifax Citadel National Historic Sites's Annual Victorian Christmas
• Halifax Greek Festival
• Halifax International Busker Festival
• Halifax Pop Explosion
• Halifax Urban Folk Festival
• In the Dead of Winter Music Festival
• Maritime Fiddle Festival
• Maritime Tattoo Festival
• Neptune Theatre's season, including annual Holiday Season performance
• Nocturne: Art at Night
• OUTEast Film Festival
• Out Like a Lion Music Festival
• Peggy's Cove Area Festival of the Arts
• Multicultural Festival
• Re-Jigged Festival
• Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo
• Scotia Festival of Music
• Symphony Nova Scotia's season, including annual performance of "The Nutcracker"
• TD Halifax Jazz Festival
• ViewFinders: Atlantic Film Festival for Youth
For more festivals & events, click here.
Halifax & the Titanic
Halifax and the Titanic are forever linked by the city's key role during the tragedy's aftermath. There are many Titanic sites in Halifax, including a permanent Titanic exhibit at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Visit Halifax and be moved by the city's connection to the Titanic.