Winter in the City
Here on the East Coast, winter is an event! Let us help you to enjoy the season, both indoors and out.
WINTER IN THE CITY
Can't-Miss Winter Events in Halifax
Winter in Halifax is packed with festivals and events guaranteed to get you out and about - even on the coldest days of the season!
- Holiday Craft Fairs in Halifax, November-December 2016
- Holiday Events in Halifax, November-December, 2016
- Dartmouth Tree Lighting, December 3, 2016
- 99th Annual Halifax Explosion Memorial Service, December 6, 2016
- New Year's Eve Events in Halifax, December 31, 2016
- New Discovery Centre Opening, January 2017
- Craft Beer & Local Food Celebration, January 12, 2017
- Savour Food and Wine Festival, January 26-March 9, 2017
- In the Dead of Winter, January 19-22, 2017
- Brides 2017 - Atl. Canada's Largest Wedding Show, January 22, 2017
- Nova Scotia Icewine Festival, February 25-26, March 4-5, 2017
Get your foodie fix this winter
Top Halifax voted resturants by locals:
1. EDNA - EDNA is a 60 seat neighbourhood restaurant, a place to eat, drink and nourish yourself, always!
2. Brooklyn Warehouse - Located in North End Halifax, this small bistro serves up hearty dishes using quality ingredients. Great craft beer on tap and a cool atmosphere!
3. 2 Doors Down - Working closely with Maritime farmers and artisan food producers, the menus change with the seasons to showcase the best of what our great region has to offer.
4. Studio East - You'll find the locals at Studio East enjoying craft beer in an urban space in the bustling Upper West End.
5. Highwayman - Highwayman serves Spanish-inspired dishes and the highest quality spirits, wine and beer they can get their hands on.
6. Battery Park Beer Bar & Eatery - A beer bar and eatery in the heart of Downtown Dartmouth, offering 15 taps of craft beer goodness and a delicious seasonal menu.
10 Ways to Experience the Best of Halifax This Winter
1. Get out and explore the beautiful Halifax waterfront - without the throngs of people usually found there in warmer months! For inspiration, check out the Halifax waterfront to do list - WINTER EDITION.
3. Check out the iconic Peggy's Cove during its infintely quieter off season. Not convinced? Here are the Top 5 reasons to visit Peggy's Cove during winter.
4. Starting January 2017 the NEW Discovery Centre opens its doors again at its new location right on the Halifax waterfront. Make sure you check out the brand new state of the art facilities!
5. For a perfect winter date or family outing, rent skates for free from the Emera Oval.
6. Enjoy the Nova Scotia's picturesque winter country-side in style with a sleigh ride at Hatfield Farm.
7. Point Pleasant Park is groomed and maintained year-round. The park is pet-friendly (look for signage for off-leash trails) and makes for a perfect morning or weekend walk.
8. Take a front row seat to history at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Check out the Halifax Explosion exhibit as its 100th anniversary draws closer, in 2017.
9. Get active this winter by renting some snowshoes or cross country skis from The Trail Shop or your local community centre.
Best hills for tobogganing in Halifax:
- Citadel Hill
- The hill at Gorsebrook Park
- Merv Sullivan Memorial Park known as "The Pit"
- Utilize golf course slopes such as Brightwood Golf & Country Club and Ashburn Golf Club
- The hill at Uniacke Estate Museum Park
Be safe and be sure to get permission before entering private or provincial property.
Click here for some tips on safe sledding!
Need more cold-weather inspiration? Visit our blog for 5 Ways to Fall in Love with Winter!